Topic; My Travel to Greece-The cradle of Western Civilization yet closer to East than West-Past, Present and Future
Time & Place : 11 AM at 48 New Main Street, Haverstraw, N.Y. 10927 , Lunch 1 PM
Speaker; Fayyaz A. Sheikh Moderator; Nasik Elahi
The talk will be an informal, partly pictorial, covering following areas;
- Cycladic Age-( 2600 BC-1600 BC) Early and Middle Bronze age.
- Late Bronze age-Mycenaean age ( 1600 BC- 1100 BC) covering Minoan culture, Gods and Greek language. This period was the historic back ground of Greek’s Mythology and Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey.
- Greek Dark Age-Early Iron age ( 1100 BC-800 BC)
- Classic Greek Period-( 800 BC-323 BC) covering start of Democracy by Cleisthenes, ( Ekklesia, Boule, Dikasteria), rule of General Pericles, Golden Age of Athenian culture, Acropolis, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle.
- Hellenistic Period-( 323 BC-31 BC) Period of stagnation and decay. Introduction of Stoicism by Zeno of Citium.
- Conquest by Roman Empire in 31 BC to Current affairs-covering Byzantine Empire, Ottoman Empire, beginning of Christianity and banishing of Pagan beliefs and Stoicism by Constantine the Great, history of Olympics and Greek Orthodox Christianity.
- Some parallels between Muslim and Greek history.
- Discussion on future.